|Morningstar Asia Launches Research Reports for Exchange-Traded Funds Listed in Hong Kong|
|HONG KONG, June 25, 2012—Morningstar Asia Limited, a subsidiary of Morningstar, Inc. (NASDAQ: MORN), a leading provider of independent investment research, has recently launched research reports for approximately 40 exchange-traded funds (ETFs) listed in Hong Kong and Singapore, representing more than 85 percent of total ETF assets in these markets.|
The ETF research reports cover the following areas:
• Suitability: Outlines the best uses of the investment vehicle in an investor’s portfolio, depending on an investor’s income needs, focus of the portfolio, and investment outlook.
• Fundamental View: Provides a broad overview of the underlying macroeconomic fundamentals that will affect the ETF’s performance. Also addresses recent valuations of the underlying index if applicable.
• Index Construction: Examines the nuances of the underlying index, including weighting methodologies, rebalancing and review periods, and dividend treatment, among other areas.
• Product Construction: Defines how the ETF is built to replicate the performance of the underlying index.
• Fees: States the ETF’s expense ratio and puts it into context with its peers.
• Alternatives: Examines the ETF in the appropriate context of other investing options with the same mandate, and compares the offerings based on cost and performance.
Jackie Choy, Asian ETF strategist for Morningstar, said, “The launch of our research reports on Hong Kong and
Singapore-listed ETFs is one of the first of its kind in the Asian ETF market. Our goal is to provide investors with relevant data points and analyst-driven research on ETFs to aid their due diligence process when evaluating these investment vehicles for use in a portfolio.”
The research reports are available in the ETF Centres on http://hk.morningstar.com and
http://sg.morningstar.com, Morningstar’s investing websites for individuals in Hong Kong and Singapore, respectively. The websites also include data, commentary, tools, and research for stocks, bonds, and mutual funds. The reports complement the Morningstar Rating, commonly known as the “star rating,” a quantitative measure that assigns one to five stars based on a fund’s past risk- and load-adjusted returns versus category peers.
Morningstar’s fund and exchange-traded fund (ETF) analysts cover more than 5,000 funds globally, and the company provides data on more than 124,000 mutual fund share classes and 9,400 ETFs. For a list of research reports available for Hong Kong- and Singapore-listed ETFs, visit: http://www.hk.morningstar.com/AP/articles/view.aspx?id=6103.
About Morningstar, Inc.
Morningstar, Inc. is a leading provider of independent investment research in North America, Europe, Australia, and Asia. The company offers an extensive line of products and services for individuals, financial advisors, and institutions. Morningstar provides data on more than 380,000 investment offerings, including stocks, mutual funds, and similar vehicles, along with real-time global market data on more than 8 million equities, indexes, futures, options, commodities, and precious metals, in addition to foreign exchange and Treasury markets. Morningstar also offers investment management services through its registered investment advisor subsidiaries and has more than U.S.$190 billion in assets under advisement or management as of March 31, 2012. The company has operations in 27 countries.
Morningstar established its presence in Asia in 2000 and has operations in Japan, Korea, India, mainland China, Taiwan, Singapore, Malaysia, and Hong Kong.
# # #
©2012 Morningstar, Inc. All Rights Reserved.